What does a Patient Relations Specialist do?

A Patient Relations Specialist assists patients and families with concerns regarding their health care at University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital.

For assistance in resolving issues, contact our office by phone Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m:

Or email us at patient-experience@uiowa.edu.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my bill?

For questions regarding your hospital bill, contact the Customer Service Department at:


How can I access my medical records?

If you would like access to your medical record, please talk to your health care team. You have a right to review, on request, a copy of your medical record and/or receive a copy of your medical record for reasonable copying charges.

All requests for copies of medical records must be received in writing. Requests via e-mail cannot be accepted.

To request a pre-printed form be sent to you via e-mail or by mail, please e-mail HIM-ConsentForm@uiowa.edu.

To avoid delays in processing, please review the form carefully and complete all sections. If the patient is a minor (less than 18 years of age), a parent or legal guardian must sign.

Questions regarding release of information or the pre-printed form, may be directed to the Release of Information Office at 1-319-356-1719, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mail completed forms to:

University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Release of Information Office, 2072 SRF
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242

Urgent patient care requests may be faxed to 1-319-356-3079.

Share a Concern

To share a concern or complaint, please contact any staff member or contact the Office of The Patient Experience at 1-319-356-1802, or 6-1802 from a hospital phone, by e-mail at patient-experience@uiowa.edu. If you have a further concern about the quality of your care, you may contact the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals in Des Moines at 1-515-281-4115.

If you feel your concern about safety or quality of care provided in the hospital has not been adequately addressed, you may also report your concern to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Call 1-800-994-6610 or e-mail complaint@jointcommission.org.

Patients who express a concern, complaint, or grievance, will not have their future access to care compromised in any way.